The Windle Selfoil Windmill. Port Lincoln area, South Australia

The Windle Selfoil Windmill

George WINDLE of the WINDLE ENGINEERING COMPANY began manufacture in his back shed at 64 Vine Street, Prospect, South Australia, before shifting to rented premises, first at Manton Street, Hindmarsh and then Giles Street, Adelaide. The company then moved their factory to Baker Street, Hindmarsh, where they stayed until it was closed in 1978. The WINDLE SELFOIL WINDMILL was first manufactured in 1936 and ceased about 1944-45. It was a counterclockwise running single gear windmill with only three moving parts. A single pinion gear drove an internally toothed main gear which had an eccentric driving a strap. The windmills were made with three legged towers and were available in 6, 8 and 10 ft sizes. Castings were done by E. J. KEEN & Co from patterns made by George WINDLE.
Photographed in the Port Lincoln area of South Australia in October 2002 by Leo Cabooter.
Back to gallery