South Australian Railways

Photo Gallery

Penfield Model Engineers Society HOME PAGE

Click on each photo for a larger view.

621 Aldgate
621 at Aldgate April 1971
Autumn Leaves Special.
524 at Aldgate
16th January 1965.


524 Aldgate
New Garratt Caltowie
Partly assembled (two) Garratt locomotives pause at Caltowie whilst enroute from Port Pirie (where they were unloaded from a ship) to the Peterborough Workshops (where the final assembly was completed) circa 1953.
Beyer Garratt Number 402 in service at Caltowie circa 1953. Ten of these 3'6" gauge locomotives were built by Societe Franco - Belge de Materiel des Chemins-de-fer under licence from Beyer Peacock, Manchester. All entered service from mid 1953 to February 1954. 

402 Caltowie
Peterborough Loco
General scene at the Peterborough Locomotive Depot circa 1965. two T class and garratt 407 stand idly whilst the 830 class diesels do the heavy maim line work. The T class locos were still used for shunting and the occasional main line trip to Terowie. The Garratt locomotives were generally kept in storage and were not used until 1969 when the 830 class diesel locomotives were converted for use on the new standard gauge line from Broken Hill to Port Pirie. The narrow gauge line was closed on the 10th of January 1970 and standard gauge operations commenced on the 12th of January 1970.

On the isolated 3'6" narrow gauge Eyre Peninsula system at Lock circa 1948. A Fageol Car No. 110 with carriage and trailer attached was a regular sight on the Port Lincoln to Thevenard passenger service.

Fageol Car Lock
River Bank Railway
This narrow gauge railway was used to carry earth filling to help strengthen the flood filled banks of the River Murray at Tailem Bend in 1957. The bank eventually burst and the swamp lands were flooded.

The Milang Branch line was normally worked by a model 75 Class Rail Car from Strathalbyn. On this occasion we see two Rx class locomotives heading a Historical Society Rail Fan Special circa 1963.

Rx Milang
55 Rail Car Commercial Road
Model 55 class rail car number 13 pauses on the Port Adelaide Commercial Road Station viaduct in circa 1963. Normally worked in pairs, the second unit was hauled as a trailer until the movement reversed when the trailer became the power car and the former power car became the trailer. This eliminated the need to turn the cars at terminal stations.

A rare sight in 1963, a model 75 class rail car number 44 at Mount Pleasant. This branch line saw only a weekly goods service at this time.

75 Mount Pleasant
520 Mount Gambier
A rare visitor to Mount Gambier locomotive 520 on a special fan trip to the South Eastern Region of the State. 16th May 1976.

An even rarer sight is this photo of a passenger train on the Millicent branch line.
Here 520 is seen heading the special train through the pine forest near Tantanoola. The once busy freight lines of the South East are now only used occasionally by restored Red Hen rail cars for tourist operated services. 16th May 1976.

520 Millicent Line
520 Wandillo
520 at it arrives Wandilo 16th May 1976.







Last updated 27th May 2007