Wall Families in Australia
Due to limited web space available for what is now a large data base we have been forced to restrict the majority of images on this site to thumbnail size - however relatives interested in obtaining larger pictures can email the designer and request a larger image be emailed to them.
Before we start
PLEASE BE REMINDED THAT ALL PICTURES ARE COPYRIGHTED to various members of the Wall family AND MAY NOT BE USED BY COMMERCIAL SITES.
Members of this line of the Wall family MAY use images in non commercial web sites related to the Wall family or for their personal family albums. Any infringements will be prosecuted to the full extent of the Law
Our line so far traces from
At this stage this is as far up the line as I have managed to get - Mind you I am working on it
Grandpa's climbing the Family Tree.
1st Generation (at this stage)
Thomas Wall born abt 1700 & Married Elinor or Eleanor ?
1. William Wall Chr 5 Feb 1719 Kington Hereford
2. Thomas Wall Born 1720 Chr 18 Jan 1721 Kington, Hereford Married Elizabeth ? born 1723 Pencombe, Hereford buried 23 Jul 1789 Pencombe Hereford
3 Samuel Wall Chr 28 Jun 1724 Kington, Hereford
4. Elinor Wall Chr 24 Dec 1727
5 Richard Wall Chr 6 Jan 1728
6. Joseph, Chr 26 Dec 1729, Kington, Hereford
7. Jane, Chr 4 Jun 1732, Kington, Hereford
8. James Wall Chr 17 May 1734 Kington, Hereford
9. George, Chr 25 Jul 1736, Kington Hereford
1. Thomas Wall Chr 18 Jan 1721 was the son of Thomas & Elinor ? He married Mary Collins by licence at Eardisley on 2nd Mar 1750
Their children were
1. Edward baptised 10 Jan 1752 Died 16 Mar 1752
2. Mary baptised 19 Mar 1753
3. Thomas Wall baptised 23 Feb 1755
4. John baptised 14 Aug 1757
5 (our Edward Wall) baptised 30 Sep 1759
6. James Wall baptised 23 Oct 1763
7. Samuel Wall baptised 27 Mar 1768
2. Edward Wall Chr 30 Sep 1759 and married Ann ?-by licence at Staunton on Wye on 13 February 1794.
Their children were
1. (our) Edward Wall was baptised on Jul 4 1794
2. Anne Wall was baptised on 27 Apr 1798
3. Mary Wall was baptised on on 29th Nov 1799
Edward's wife Anne died between 1799 & 1813
Edward Wall, then a widower married Margaret Farr by licence at Kington on 29th May 1813
The children of this marriage were
1. Thomas Wall baptised 27 May 1814
2. Elizabeth Wall - baptised 31 Mar 1816
3. John Wall - baptised 13 Sep 1818
Edward aged 79 at death, was buried at Chickward on 3rd Sep 1837
1. Edward WALL Farmer
b. 1801 of Eardisley Herefordshire , married Elizabeth THOMAS b. at Lyonshall 1795 by licence at Lyonshall on 14 Feb 1820.
Both bride and groom signed the register and the witnesses were Edward Thomas & Mary Thomas. Elizabeth WALL (nee Thomas) of Woolton aged 80 years was buried on 12 Aug 1875. Woolton otherwise Wooton is near to Eardisley.
Residence The Parsonage Eardisley
A Map courtesy Google Earth , showing Parsonage Farm in relation to the township
Click on thumbnail for a larger image
Edward & Elizabeth had the following children
1. Our Edward WALL
2.. Elizabeth WALL born 1822
3. Robert WALL born 1824
4. Sarah WALL born 1826
5. Richard WALL born 7 Jun 1827 - lived 4 days buried 11 Jun 1827
6. Ann WALL born 1828 Christened 29 Jun 1828 - Anne was listed in the 1851 Census as a house Servant living at 2 Old Court (next door to the Vicarage of the Vicar of Bredwardine - a Newton D.Newton. The Vicar had one daughter Julia Newton and eight house servants ) and she worked for the Benjamin Parry, (a Farmer's household). Living at No 3 was a James Bennett , Head of the Household who farmed 234 acres and employed 6 labourers. Also in that household the Curate of Bredwardine Rev W.H.C.Meriwether was a boarder.
7. Richard WALL born 1829 - Chr 30 Jul 1829 Eardisley On The Night of the 1881 the British Census shows Richard as aged 51 of Wooton Farm , Eardisley and his occupation was that of a farmer of 150 acres who was employing 3 Labourers
His wife Mary was aged 46 (she was born at Cregina, Radnorshire, Wales) They had an unmarried daughter Mary then aged 24, (born Eardisley, and a niece Mary Ann aged 6 daughter who was born at Kington, Hereford. There were 3 servants a Jane Breese aged 16, a James Brookes 21 (Farm servant Indoors) and a John Turner 22, (Farm Servant Indoors) Source FHLFilm 1341628 PRO Ref RG11 Piece/Folio 2608/ 17 - Page 1
8. Diana WALL born 1831 Chr 16 Oct 1831 Eardisley
9. Thomas WALL born 1834 Chr 25 Jan 1834 Eardisley
10. Mary WALL born 1835 Chr 11 Nov 1835 Eardisley
|I know little or nothing about Robert and also Sarah, and any descendants of the first Richard will be aware they don't exist, Diana, Thomas & Mary have so far turned up missing. There must be some descendants in the UK or maybe America , Canada or elsewhere . I would be pleased if anyone researching Wall families is able to fill me in with some details.|
THE START OF OUR WALL LINE IN AUSTRALIA
Our Edward was born in 1821- and he and his wife and family came to Australia in 1863 on board the Mary Shepherd. Edward died aged 63 on 22 Jul 1884 and is buried at Barabba SA. Cause of death on death certificate was stated as 'gout in stomach'.
Pen & Ink Drawing of the Mary Shepherd - Courtesy New Zealand Library and used with permission
Emigrants on board sailing ship
The 1851 WALES Census shows Edward and Mary living at Gladestry with Sons John & Edward (Reference H.O. 107/2492)
Mary Ann WALL 'nee Ball'
Edward & Mary Ann came to Australia
on the 'Mary Shepherd' which arrived
at Port Adelaide on Saturday 18th April 1863.-
More about the Mary Shepherd
The following land grants were issued in South Australia.
Edward - the father of John & Edward- bought land on credit at Wandearah West (Hundred of Wandearah)
Wandearah Nomenclature Aboriginal for 'big trees'.
Click on the link below to see where the farm was located
WALL E,Jnr; Victoria; Hd Wandearah; Sect 92, 93; total area 838 acres; £838; 16-7-1879
WALL Edward; Daly; Hd Mundoora; Sect 474, 475N; total area 640 acres; £703; 20-11-1877
WALL Edward; Daly; Hd Mundoora; Sect 473S; total area 99 acres; £101/9/6; 19-11-1878
John also bought land on credit at Wandearah
WALL John; Victoria; Hd Wandearah; Sect 70W, 71; total area 677 acres; £677; 1-2-1878
WALL John; Victoria; Hd Wandearah; Sect 24E; total area 155 acres; £155; 9-8-1878
WALL John; Victoria; Hd Wandearah; Sect 23S; total area 168 acres; £168; 31-3-1880
Shearing in times gone by Even the girls did it tough in those days
There weren't any tractors in those days
Edward & Mary Ann had 4 Children
1. Mary Ann WALL Married James DOW - Mary Ann died 3 Oct 1919 - Aged 74
2. Then came 'our' John - John WALL
John was born 17th August 1847 at Eardisley Herefordshire
and died at Ardrossan on 6th November 1931
3. Edward WALL Edward a younger brother of our John, was born at Eardisley Herefordshire & farmed at Barabba and at Nildotti
(Barabba - Fourteen kilometres north-east of Mallala. Land in the vicinity was first held under occupation licence by John Ellis from 15 August 1844. A town of 'Aliceburgh' was laid out on section 204, Hundred of Grace into one-acre blocks and proclaimed in 1879. It ceased to exist on 1 July 1897 and was re-surveyed into working men's blocks of four to five acres - this was the genesis of today's settlement of Barabba which is an unofficial name.) He also had 1000 acres at Nildottie
4. Thomas WALL - Thomas was born in Eardisley Herefordshire .
and died at the young age of 17 . His death certificate shows he died of typhoid fever - there was a raging epidemic of the disease in the 1860s to the mid 1870s
We do know that he was originally interred at Alma and that his remains were then removed to Barabba where he was re-buried .
Back to John Wall
He farmed at Wandearah West, Ardrossan, and Barabba John had two marriages - the first to Elizabeth Dyer.
Both were 26 when they married in the Primitive Methodist Chapel, Barabba, District of Barossa (book 98, page 880).
Elizabeth died 5 Nov 1874 reputedly of "Consumption' - and early alias of Tuberculosis and was buried at Alma then later transferred to Barabba cemetery . She was with child when she died and her unnamed son died with her .
John later married Sarah Ann Crowell on 12 Oct 1876 at Charleston, district of Nairne (book 109, page 143). A short biography of John Wall & Sarah Ann Crowell
John & Sarah had the following children
Religion was given as 'Methodist'
They celebrated their golden wedding at ardrossan and it was reported in the SA Register on 19 Oct 1926 page 8h
reads On October 12, Mr & Mrs John Wall, of Mine Gully, Ardrossan, and late
of wandearah, celebrated their golden wedding. Miss Sarah Ann Crowell was
married to Mr john wall on october 12, 1876, by the late rev H.Pope at
charleston. relatives arranged the golden wedding breakfast, which was
held at the home of Mr & Mrs W.J.Crowell (price) . Toasts were
proposed by Messrs W.J.Crowell and F.Lock. Mrs G.D.P.Whittaker, (the brides
maid) was also present. A happy time was spent congratulating the couple.
Those present were Mr & Mrs E.J.Wall and family, Mr & Mrs W.J.Wall and
family , Mrs & Mrs H.Fuller and family, Mr & Mrs H.Davidson & son ,
Mr & Mrs W.J.Crowell, Mr & Mrs H.P.Crowell, Mr & Mrs W.J.Walker,
Mr & Mrs R.Wilson & family, Mr & Mrs L.A.Mason , Mr & Mrs
F.H.Crowell, Mr & Mrs W.J.Whittaker, Mrs C.Hyde, Mr & Mrs W.G.Rowntree,
Misses C.McCallum, V.Whittaker,, E. & D. Crowell, F.Lock and A.Parker
Sarah was born on 20th July 1857 and she died at Stirling SA on 6th Oct 1948
1. Olive Marion WALL who was born at Charleston on 18th April 1878.
She Married Joseph Edward BURGESS on 13th August 1896 She died at Trevu Private Hospital Gawler on 25th Nov 1967
A short biography of Joseph Edward Burgess & Olive Marion Wall
2. Next in line is my grandfather Edward John Wall Edward John 'Ted' Wall son of John WALL
Edward John WALL ( known as 'Ted') was born 18th May 1879. He married Louisa Jane (Jane) PARKERat Wandearah on 3rd April 1906.
Ted (My grandfather) died in a horrific train accident at Mallala on 2nd Jan 1937
This is the train that he collided with with fatal consequences. It was and S Class Loco manufactured in Gawler
in 1898 by James Martin and saw many years of service before being scrapped in the 1960s .
Click on following link to see how
The Mallala Police Station Journal 2 Jan 1937
Ted & Jane had four Children more details below .
|4. Neta Evelyn WALL
Born 28 Jul 1916 She married Frederick George DAVIES born 1812 at Ardrossan
on 18 Mar 1938 He died at Victor Harbour SA . Neta & Fred had 2 Children Gloria & Graham. (more details will follow)
Neta later married Lionel HEWITT on 21 Apr 1984.
Neta (now in her 90s) was always and still is a bright and cheerful character with a lively sense of humour.
3. Herbert Alfred WALL
'known as Bert) was born 6 Jul 1880
and died at Kirup WA on May 1 1951 and was buried at Donnybrook WA on 2 May 1951
There are Wall relatives in Western Australia and with any luck at all some of his descendants will send photographs of him and his descendants that they may be prepared to share. i have been in touch with some by email have received some but as yet further promised pictures are yet to arrive
4 William Percival WALL was born and died in 1881.
5. Ethel WALL aged 2 years was buried on 12 Aug 1884 and is located in grave 8 Block 10 Wandearah Cemetery
6. Elsie WALL died aged 3 weeks was buried 2 Jun 1883
7 Nina Crowell WALL was born on 8th Sep 1884 at Wandearah and died in SA on 8th Nov 1972 . She married Gilbert Walter FIDGE on 24 Jul 1905. Gilbert was born 23 Jan 1880 and died on 18 May 1974
8. Neil Jesse WALL was born at Wandearah on 17th Jan 1886 and married Agnes Jessie SMITH on 11th Mar 1914 .
Neil died at Karoonda on Apr 1973 and is buried at Murray Bridge SA
9 Vera Eliza WALL (known as 'Toppy')was born at Wandearah on 25th Jun 1887 She married Clarence William Hartley FULLER on 23rd Nov 1910
10. Estella (Stella) Agnes WALL was born at Wandearah on 3rd Nov 1888 - She died in 1957 She married Hurtle Roy DAVIDSON
11. Colia Druscilla WALL was born at Wandearah on 4th May 1890 and died on 16th Sep 1890 Surname WALL Given Names COILA DRUCILLA Cemetery n/a Plot/Grave8 /Niche Block 10 Age at Death 10 MTH WALL, Date of Burial 19.09.1890
12. Roy Henry WALL was born at Wandearah on 20th Sep 1892 Married Edith McCartney in 1917 and died in Western Australia in 1983. Edith died young and left Roy to raise 6 children all of whom are still alive and all aged over 80 . In 1944 he remarried and to an Elizabeth Violet Yeoman Ball
I hope that some of his descendants may have some more pictures and will share them with me
13. Clifford Arnold WALL was born at Wandearah on 15th Aug 1894 and was killed in action at the young age of 24 in France during the 'Battle of the Somme' on 2nd Sep 1918 .
A short biography of Clifford Arnold Wall
Think you might be able to help or contribute?
if so please
send me an
My Guestbook >View my guestbook
Web Page Author
These pages may be freely linked to but not duplicated in any fashion,
wholly or in part, except for private study.
Search Engine Optimization and Free Submission