Hamley Bridge Industries
The Brick Stack and surrounding rubble are Heritage Listed and are a significant industrial archaeological site. This is one of only a few remaining brick kiln relics in the Region.
brick kiln was established on the bank of the River light by H.J. Charlton and
Co. in 1877. It was taken over by a
prominent businessman John T Quinn, who ‘literally built early Hamley
Bridge’ and in 1916 was bought out by W. H. Durdin who operated the kiln until
it was closed down in 1938.
The clay deposits were limited and a small number of sand stock bricks were fired in a single down-draught kiln. The bricks were used in the construction of a large number of buildings in the town and surrounding districts.
Hamley Bridge had three chaff mills, sending products throughout South Australia and the Eastern States. Pioneers in this field were Messrs John Ridgeway and Edmund Ayliffe.
Traegers operated one of the chaff mills until 1930 at the the same complex as all his other businesses.
John Barclay started his chaff mill business in 1922 and was sold in 1929 to James (Jim) Stott. He operated until 1952, employing from four to nine men at a time, depending on the demand for chaff. The peak season saw the demand for cutting grow, in which it accompanied the production of 2000 tons a year. Les Stott obtained the business in 1952, replacing the Black-stone oil engine with an electric motor. The no.8 Cliff and Bunting cutter, and also the two No.6 cutters previously used, were replaced. The trade in Adelaide via Fodder Stores became excellent outlets for chaff, the trade became consistent, in which it cut 40 to 50 tons per week, employing seven to eight men. The mill was sold in 1978 but only operated for a short period after.
Another Chaff Mill was operated by the Hutton family. It closed down in 1963.